Twisted Stitcher

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Saturday Catch-Up

It's been a while, eh? How on earth did it get to be the middle of August already? We celebrated my daughter's birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary last week. Time goes so fast....

Here are a couple of pictures from our spin-in from a week ago. That's Kirsten on the left and Darci on the right. In the middle, more great Christy dyed yarn. It had already been partially picked over (I really mean that some people had already swooped in and snatched up the alpaca pink laceweight, sorry MJ) by the time this was taken. I don't know how Christy comes up with these great color combinations, I just hope she keeps doing it for a very long time. There were wheels all over the place, see Lisa's post for more pictures. I never remember to take enough. We had spinners and knitters and food and fiber. What better way to spend a Saturday?
Here is Kirsten trying her hand at spinning. She thinks she spun crap, we all know she spun yarn. And there is no such thing as crap yarn. All of it has a purpose, even if it's beyond our reckoning. But hers was really very nice, not anywhere near the crap my first yarn was.
Here's Christy spinning on a drop spindle some of the absolutely gorgeous silk she dyed. There were several attempts to have that awesome stuff jump into assorted bags to go home with people that weren't Christy. You can't see the color and the sheen, so stop saying you would never covet fiber so much as to hope she was looking the other way while the yarn mysteriously found it's way into your bag.....
On the home front, the first brown Trekking sock is done, and here's a picture of the progress on the second. Not too bad, I actually feel as if I can finish the pair this month and take a hike while wearing them.
I've also had my sons moving rocks around in our yard. I decided it was time the front yard had a little "curb appeal". We are thinking of downsizing our house, since the kids are getting to the point of not living here and only the dog enjoys the yard, but only if someone goes out to play with her. I bought a bunch of plants and did about a third of the work I needed to outside on Thursday. I was planning on finishing up today, but it rained and while I don't mind a little dirt, I decided to put off planting until tomorrow. Besides, I need to trim up some trees and Bob doesn't know it yet. He doesn't really like surprises like that very much.

Lisa got me to thinking about projects in progress and so I trolled around in my room (and the annex) and only found 4 projects on the needle. And one pair of frogged socks that I really want done by my birthday. I thought it was worse than that. So that's 2 pair socks, one shawl, one mobius, and Megan's last Christmas present, which is still a surprise for her so I can't say what it is, but it is red. I also took pictures and posted some finished projects.

There are three almost finished objects that I am committed to finishing today. For goodness sakes they only need ends woven in and buttons stitched on, I can probably handle it. I checked the annex and found only some yummy blue stuff, chocolate teasdale, and some llama/silk roving to spin. So that's under control.

The not quite so under control issue is, no big surprise here....stash. I have concrete plans for:
finishing a pumpkin colored lace vest from 1981 (no, it won't fit)
4 baby sweaters and/or blankets
4 scarves of various sizes and shapes
1 shrug
4 additional pairs of socks
1 felted bag
3 more shawls
1 heirloom baby blanket
13 helmet liners
1 sweater (no yarn purchased for this yet)
1 pair pink fuzzy slippers (because Meg asked nice)

This is only yarn that has been earmarked. There is much that is for other, undetermined projects. I'm not saying how much, you can't make me. I really only have yarn for three helmet liners, but 13 is the goal. Please note, no dates for completion are listed, except for the first 2 pairs of socks. I thought about it, but got a headache. I will pin down some priorities later, since the list is maybe a little long.

Here's a priority...friendship. There was a lot of drama this week, but it boils down to you can't fix what you don't know is broken, sometimes when you say your piece, it ain't very peaceful, and fixing broken friendships is a top priority for me. My son's take on the drama summed up in one word...."Chicks." Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home